Thursday, April 16, 2015

March

March, in paint:

Muddy Tuesday, 9 x 12" plein air oil on linen/hardboard, March 10
I enjoyed the first real thaw of spring, and went out painting without snowpants and winter boots.

March Thaw, 9 x 12" plein air oil on linen/hardboard, March 11
I spent too much time wandering around in the woods before setting up to paint this one, but it was spring-like, and lovely. I had to paint more quickly as a result. The sun was so warm that the patches of snow changed shapes from when I began the painting to when I'd finished - just over an hour later.

Brown Fields and Old Snow, 9 x 12" plein air oil on linen/hardboard, March 12
The sun looked warm, but the wind was out of the east and felt very cold. Only a little snow remained in the roadside ditches and low spots in the brown fields.

March Picnic, 9 x 12" plein air oil on linen/hardboard, March 14
Another quick one! It was a great day for an early spring picnic. I took the opportunity to sketch my companions in paint, before the littlest had to go for a nap, and the others got too cold.

Lined Faces, 9 x 12" plein air oil on linen/hardboard, March 21
I've already written about this one. There was a good reason it felt so cold that day - snow was coming! We got about eight inches, and another little stretch of winter to make spring even more welcome when it would come to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment