Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Produce Prints

Ew, not very nice looking at this point!
 Every now and then I try my hand at screen printing. My screens are whatever fabric I had on hand, painted with screen filler, in embroidery hoops. I recently got a set of colored inks (had only used black and red before) and tried them out for the first time today, printing on muslin produce bags. The colors look pretty garish right out of the jar, but I had some fun mixing them together on the screens.
I'm happy with how the red and blue mixed and came through onto the fabric.

Progression: The colors mixed to a pretty uniform purplish color, and I added a bit more red to the center each time.

 I used some of the muddy color left from the first ones together with more blue, some yellow and white for the next design.

Grayish garlic.
 I like how the first print almost has a watercolor-like look. After that the color gets pretty uniform.
Garlic progression.

Yellow, blue, and white to make a good pea-green.

Pea vine!

3 comments:

  1. That's so cool! I don't totally understand how the image is made, though--is it like a cut-out that you've made and you're sort of stenciling it on? Is that an idiotic question?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jessica! Not an idiotic question at all. :) It is kind of a stencil. Basically, I've painted every area I don't want to print with something called screen filler. The design is left just plain cloth, and I press the ink through that onto whatever I'm printing. These are water based inks, so afterwards I just wash the screens with water and let them dry till next time. The prints have to be ironed to help them set, and then can be washed and dried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH.. wow! I did not know that's how it's done, though I've always meant to research screenprinting just because it's a term thrown a lot in the field I'm in (graphic design). I never knew what it actually meant, I just think of it in terms of t-shirts. :D That's fascinating...screen filler.

      Delete