Thursday, July 31, 2014

Late July Greens

West of the Crossroad, 9 x 12 plein air, oil on linen panel
Though we've had a wet summer, and the landscape is still overwhelmingly green, the greens are changing as the season progresses. I have two different yellows that I keep on my palette: a lemony sort of yellow, and a cadmium yellow. In the spring the former gets the most use when mixing my greens, but as we move towards autumn, the cadmium becomes the most squeezed tube.
I set up yesterday in the slight shadow of a scrubby little box-elder. The dogs were with me, dashing off after every strange sound or smell, and then returning to pant happily in the shade. Fields and pastures are filled with blossoming Queen Anne's Lace, yarrow, asters, clover, and many grasses going to seed.

No comments:

Post a Comment